Walking To Work
Walking to work is a fantastic way to get and stay healthy, and best of all it is free. In fact did you know that by walking for half an hour a day you can half the risk of heart disease?
Walking to the Head Office site, or even part of the way, is a good way of building exercise into your daily routine and a great commuting option.
Because it is easy to fit into everyday life people who walk tend to keep it up. And as you will see regular exercise is exactly what you need to improve your health.
Need To Plan Your Journey?
Get a route map between and two points, including your journey time, calorie burn, step count and carbon saving. It is quick, free, healthy and green. This planner tool can be seen by clicking on the image below.
Get A Travel Incentive Voucher
If you walk to work you can claim a travel incentive voucher which can be redeemed at the Enderby and Gedding Road staff shops. Please use our Travel Registration Form to register or report a change to your method of travel to work.
Benefits Of Walking
Walking is a great way of burning calories, which helps maintain a healthy weight, but there are lots of other health benefits too, helping you to achieve a more healthier lifestyle overall
Walking can help:
- Reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Reduce high cholesterol and lower blood pressure
- Increase mobility and flexibility
- Increase joint, muscle and bone strength which helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Lower the risk of developing certain types of cancer such as colon cancer and lung cancer by staying active
- Achieve a more toned and supple physique helping you stay healthy for longer
Walking is a safe activity, however it is always best to be prepared and understand your surroundings. The following tips are designed to help make walking an enjoyable experience with your safety in mind.
- Look out for other road users, when crossing roads it is easier to hear cars and other motor vehicles, but cyclists are much quieter.
- Gradually build up your walking stamina. Take it steady at first to help prevent yourself from overdoing it. With regular activity you will quickly see the benefits of walking and notice a vast improvement to your overall fitness.
- Wear suitable clothing and make sure you are prepared if the weather turns. Be sure to wear bright clothes and reflective clothing if you have to walk at night.
- Wear suitable shoes as well to prevent blisters etc.
- Cross roads at suitable crossings, always remembering to look both ways, and try to keep to well lit pathways.
- Consider finding a walking buddy from your work site, we will be implementing this as a new scheme in 2019.